Tax season is right around the corner. It does not matter if you are a business owner or individual, you still have to file taxes with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). If you have not picked out an accountant already, don´t panic.  This article provides some guidelines to help you look for the right contador (accountant) for you.

The first thing you need to know is that there are four types of accountants:

  • Public accountants: they usually have their own businesses, they work for public companies and they also audit and file your taxes;
  • Management accountants: they work for a company and they keep track of the money that is being spent;
  • Government accountants: they check the records of people doing business with the government and they make sure all the documents are correct;
  • Internal auditors: They make sure that the companies are following the correct financial controls and that there is no false accounting statement, fraud, or theft.

So now that you know the types of accountants, here is a brief overview of the common forms that you will need for filling.

You will need a W-2 form from each employer, a 1099 form if you are an independent contractor, a 1098E for your student loans and a 1098 from your mortgage company – these provide you and the IRS with the information about how much money you earned and how much interest you paid on your loans. Companies mail this forms by the end of January each year so you should get all your forms by the beginning of February.  You also need an identification with your full name, date of birth, social security number and the same information for dependents that you are claiming. If necessary you should make a list of all the places you have worked for and check the documents off as you receive them. Remember companies report this information to the IRS so it is important to report everything.

The following are the different types of forms, ask your contador (accountant) which ones are right for you: Form 1040, Form 1040A, Form 1040 EZ, Form 1040 ES, Form 1040 Sch A, Form 1040 Sch B, Form 1040 Sch C, Form 1040 Sch D, Form 8949, Form 1040 Sch SE, Form 1040-X, Inst 1040 Tax Tables, Form W-2, Form W-4, Form W-9, Form 941, Form 1099-MISC, Pub 2043, Form 4868, Form 8863 and Form 8917.

The next major step is to find a contador (accountant) that is close to you, speaks your language and is not to expensive. Visit We are here to help you find local contadores (contadores que hablan español) near you. Don´t delay. Remember if you don´t file taxes and the IRS finds you first you can be punished up to one year in prison or $10K for every year you didn´t file taxes.

If you want a personal reference or assistance in setting up an appointment, you can use YaSabe’s human-powered concierge service called “Ayudame”.  Simply put in what you are looking for, where you would like to meet and when and leave your email address so our YaSabeOndo’s can contact you.  For more information on YaSabe and Ayudame- check out this helpful video.

If you don´t have a computer near you. Don´t worry, you can still ask for help directly from your mobile device.  YaSabe Android Mobile application provides phone-numbers, directions and other information about the businesses nearby. You can download the YaSabe Android application for free from the Android Marketplace.  You can also download the free iPhone app from the App Store and from iTunes.

For additional information and news please follow us on Twitter (yasabe) or FaceBook ( – by Ide Lehner